"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Using scraps of kitty fabric.



I had this cute piece of cat fabric which was just enough to make four small mats, coasters , whatever you wish to call them.  I decided to use a different technique to bind them - the one where you bring the backing fabric around to the front, and stitch it down.  These two were the first pair, and as you can see, I made a bit of a mess with the binding!  But I have since made two more and they are a vast improvement on these, but I haven't got around to taking a photo so you will just have to take my word for it :-}

Edited to add that I took the doiley quilt top to a quilter yesterday, and she said it should be quilted in about 2 weeks.   Can I wait that long?  Going to have to, there is no way I was going to attempt to do it myself!

In Japanese mood.

As well as the Tori Gate quilt, I have been working on a small wall hanging that is based on something I saw in a magazine,  and cut out for future reference.  It was called Fan Fantasy, and I have used the basic pattern, but varied my version somewhat, including a bit of extra Sashiko to add interest.



Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Japanese traditional kimono fabric finally used!

Remember this?

 My generous friend Aiko in Tokyo has just sent me another parcel of materials - completely different from the above.  Traditional day Kimono fabrics in indigo, stripes and browns.  At first glance I thought What????  but after going through my Japanese quilting books, I can see the potential.  Watch this space, but don't hold your breath .

.......
.....
I decided to make a wall hanging based on the Japanese style of  door curtain which is used instead of solid doors to save space.  I cut most of the fabrics into 10" strips of varying thicknesses, and sewed them onto a backing of calico.  Each row has a Tori emblem block - the Tori gate is appliqued on to a background of plain Indigo fabric, and the block was inserted into each row of strips.  I used a grey fabric for the sashing and outside borders, and will use the same for binding.  For the backing I used a golden colour curtain material which I have had in my stash for years, just waiting for the right project!
This is the top before I quilted the top and backing together.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Doiley quilt top finished

The top is all pieced and ready to be quilted.  But before that I need to do some hand stitching around some of the doilies that have wide lace or crocheted edges, otherwise they could tear if something catches on them.

Saturday, December 09, 2017

More Christmas sewing.

I've been using up some Xmas stash.  This apron and the runner below is made from a panel which also included an oven mitt, but I gave that to someone else as I don't need another oven mitt!



Two coasters, one larger which will probably be used as a hot plate mat.
  The other side of the coasters.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Christmas Table Runner

I have just finished a gift for a non-sewing friend.  I made this table runner from fabrics that I had in my stash.


Friday, November 10, 2017

Doiley quilt.

So glad I decided to use the machine to sew the rest of my doiley blocks!  They are all done now, and are waiting for the November class at the Quilt Shop, when I will put them up on the design wall and decide what to use for the sashing and border.
My next projects are a couple of Christmas themed runners, place mats and coasters for friends. 
Thanks to those of you who expressed concern over my news of the bladder cancer.  It didn't take me long to recover from the operation, and I am back to my usual routines now, but for the coming six weeks I have to attend the hospital every Monday for two hours for bio immune therapy, to get rid of any remaining cancer cells.  I'm told that it doesn't take long and there are rarely any nasty side effects, as it isn't like chemo or radiation, but I'm sure I won't feel quite as energetic as I have been!  So if I don't post anything here for a while, it will only be because I'm a bit tired.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Update on my doiley quilt.

After meticulously handstitching doilies on to three blocks, I decided that was a crazy idea, and had a go at sewing the next couple of blocks by machine.  Much faster, and looks quite neat, so that is what I will be doing for the rest of them.
Funny to think I am doing this quilt in memory of a friend who died of cancer, and now I have just been diagnosed with cancer myself :-(   However, it is in the bladder, not an aggressive cancer, and I had the tumours removed last week without any problem.  My doctor assures me that it is quite a common cancer, and most people survive for many years once it has been treated.  Maybe I'd better make another doiley quilt when I've finished this one, just in case!

Clover shaped needle case.

I made this for a swap on the Home Makers Forum.  My nominated swap partner had mentioned a while ago that she would love to have one of those clover shaped needlecases, so I consulted Mr Google, downloaded a free pattern, and here  it is!   they are :-)
I made the Paris fabric one first as a trial to see how it turned out, and learnt a few things on the way, which made the second effort much more presentable in my eyes.