"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Making a start on Japanese fabric quilt.

No, I haven't actually started it yet.  But with the help of my tutor Leanne at The Quilt Shop here in Eltham, I've decided on the pattern I will use to cut out and make up my beautiful fabrics.  It is based on a photo I saved on my Pinterest account, and Leanne spent a lot of time trying to figure out the measurements based on the photo, as of course, there was no pattern!  She concluded that it would be easier if we adjusted the pattern slightly to  suit what I wanted to do with my fabrics, then she worked out the measurements.  She suggested that I make templates, and cut out the shapes from other fabric in my stash, then sew them together to make sure I've got it right, rather than cut the Japanese fabrics and risk making a mistake. I'm so glad I did this, because even though I cut the square and rectangles correctly, I cut the sashing too narrow (1" instead of 1.5"), which meant  I had to cut the whole lot back half an inch all round to make it work!  There will be four blocks like this, although depending on how they look when I line them up, if I have enough fabric, I might make a fifth block to make the quilt a bit longer.


I think it looks good, and am now looking forward to cutting the "real thing"  next week at the Quilt Shop. I could do it at home, but there is so much more room to spread everything out there, instead of the small folding table I use at home.

3 comments:

Meow (aka Connie) said...

It's going to look great with those beautiful fabrics you have, Gina xx

Jane said...

so exciting to get close to making the real thing, look forward to seeing it. Accidentally closed the window down, but the coasters look fun to do, might have a go at some of those

Linda Steele said...

Love the colours that you have chosen